Sunday, June 14, 2009

Quick Note

Right now I am combing the Internet for some material which I need to read, archive and then digest and comment. As a tiny distraction, I thought I would post a quick list. Here are some of my thoughts before another big post.

1) WT Stead... I'm reading about this man William T. Stead. He is a pretty interesting guy. An editor in late 19th century London, Stead, who was deeply spiritual (he didn't like the idea of being called religious), changed the face of social activism while also developing something called the "New Journalism" (Matthew Arnold named it this) at his Pall Mall Gazette. What a fellow... more later!

2) You can go to the beach in Delaware! Growing up in Tennessee, I assumed wrongly that America's Atlantic Coast Beach Adventures spanned the near-Gulf waters of Florida to North Carolina's Outer Banks and then jumped to New Jersey. I did not know of the land known as Delmarva. Delmarva is the peninsula where parts of Delaware, Virginia and Maryland all reside. And, not only does it have a cool name, but it has equally fun beaches. I just got home today from Bethany beach. So much fun!

3) Bodo's Bagels. This summer, I want to create a list of the best things to do while in C-ville. Obviously, visiting the University, its libraries, exhibits, sites, etc. is a must-- as is Monticello. But, I also want to add Bodo's Bagels. This is the quintessential C-Ville watering hole. I am currently eating a Bodo's Everything with Cream Cheese. It's a good thing!

4) Alderman Library. Alderman and the Scripps Library are my new homes here in C-ville. In the next few days I want to take you all on a photo-tour (exciting! <>) of these libraries. They actually have some neat and eyebrow raising stories.

5) Biking. I am involved in an eco-initiative of sorts and biking around C-ville. Luckily, C-ville is a very bike-friendly town, so I won't get squished by cars. I'm pretty excited. My biking days are far in the past... I'll keep you posted on this.


I'd love some comments. How are you guys???

5 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Peeden!
    It sounds like you are having loads of fun!
    I was was reading the newspaper in Raleigh and I came across a part that was talking about some student athletes in the area. It had different questions that they answered. One of the questions was "Favorite Book". A few of them had the book "Night" by Elie Wiesel I was really excited that other people besides us have read the same book and loved it!
    The summer reading is coming along slowly, but I think I will be able to make it. I always get more encouragement when I see that you are reading and researching all summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a long comment one day, but it didn't go up.....but it sounds like you are having lots of fun!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Miss Peeden!

    I would just like to say your blog is interesting, and I too was able to discover that Deleware has beaches this summer too! Although, I am not sure which beach I was on in the great state of Deleware, but I had a wonderful time picking up stones and enjoying the time with my friends and thier children.

    Good luck with your researh =)

    Miss. Sherrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim, sorry I didn't know I was moderating the comments. I was kind of sad before I realized this, because I thought y'all weren't reading. Good to see you are following!!

    Btw, I heard Elie Wiesel on the radio two days ago. I will send you the link to the podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA, it ok , Its summertime, so we can have breaks!! Sorry you felt alone!!!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete