Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dora the Explorer

One of the great things about being in C-ville this time around is that I do not have to live near college kids. College kids can be loud. They also keep weird hours, let alone put indoor furniture outside (this always bothered me). I know this because I was a college kid just a little bit ago, and I was loud and kept weird hours (but all of my indoor furniture stayed indoors). I also have two lovely brothers in college who are loud and keep weird hours (they share my concern about those silly couches). Let me reiterate how happy I am that I don't live near students at the University.

Haha...

That being said, I have been very lucky in that I have some friends who have a wonderfully luxurious home, and they have been kind enough to extend their guest bedroom and den to me. My friends are great in that they let me live near the school (1.5-2 miles away by bike) but away from the wahoo hullabahoo. They are also great in that they have wonderful children who keep me thoroughly entertained. These guys are little, and as I am thankfully well-versed in Playhouse Disney, Nick Jr. and Discovery Kids, we have some very heated and exciting discussions.

For example, yesterday I came home from the library and was asked, "Hey Sarah, what'dcha do today?"
To which I replied, "Looked for some sources... you know, homes for lost quotes."
"How could quotes miss their homes? They don't live in places, they're just said by people." (Confusion. But, you have to admit, these guys are smart... what was I talking about?)

....And that's when I told them I essentially did the job of an academic Dora the Explorer. Let's jump to the explanation of the analogy, shall we?

Yep, with my own helpful backpack, brimming with books, my Dell Latitude and my cell phone, I navigate UVa with my best buddy Boots, aka Alderman Library and its incredibly talented research librarians.

Okay, so it's a stretch, but it's a fun one. And, sometimes I really feel Dora-esque when I use the electronic card catalogue and finally get a clear map to my source material. This feeling ends at the singing and dancing. I don't do either. They would kick you out of a library for that! :)

Happy almost weekend everyone!
I will be in Delaware at beautiful Bethany Beach on Saturday and back in the stacks on Sunday for some reeeeeeeeeeeessseaaarch.

Ciao ciao.


PS I am reading a book about WT Stead, the renegade newspaperman of 19th Century England. He is such a cool, wild zany guy. More on Stead later, but if you're reading this, check him out. I would be curious to know what you all think about him.

PPS HEY STUDENTS, what are you guys up to? What are you (cough, cough) reading? How are those summer reading books going? Miss you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment