Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Willa Cather's Grave

Okay, here's the picture of the grave... thought I would share.

Here's the engraving, because I know the image is tiny:


WILLA CATHER

December 7th, 1876- April 24th, 1947

THE TRUTH AND CHARITY OF HER GREAT SPIRIT WILL LIVE ON IN THE WORK WHICH IS HER ENDURING GIFT TO HER COUNTRY AND ALL ITS PEOPLE.

"...that is happiness to be dissolved into something complete and great."

From My Antonia

Here's what my mind was thinking when I saw this:

1) It's really interesting to think about Willa, one of the most pronounced voices of the Midwest, buried in a very New England cemetery next to colonists and founding fathers (there were signers of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and even Samuel Adams in this cemetery). I mean, let's just fill this out for a second.

What could you say?

The Midwest meets New England.

The 18th century meets the 19th.

English colonists meet the author who immortalized Slavic immigrants.

Emerging culture meets industrialization yearning for an agrarian lifestyle...

Sooooo much to think about....



2) I can't help but compare and contrast the setting in this photo to those fields where Neighbor Rosicky was buried. If you get a chance, read that last paragraph of "Neighbor Rosicky." Cather's grave site was by no means in a city cemetery, but I do think it's a little different from Dr. Ed's view. What do you all think?



3) Because it's New England and I was in a cemetery, near a church... I had to make some kind of reference to my old pals Hester Prynne, Roger Chillingworth and Arthur Dimmesdale. If you have a sec, check out that last chapter of the SL, "The Conclusion." You get that chilling description of Hester's somewhat cryptic tomb. Also, remember that graveyard where Chillingworth snagged those herbs? I thought of that as I looked at Willa Cather's grave. I was happy to see bright flowers growing on top. Good job Willa! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment